Author Topic: Legend of Mana  (Read 11579 times)

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • The very model of a forum moderator
Legend of Mana
« on: October 12, 2006, 12:06:38 pm »
Lately my entire dorm room has been awash in RPGs. My roommate bought 3 of them and has been playing them all more or less non-stop (it's even shut down his Naruto 4 high, thank god), but I lack the patience for any of them. I didn't even finish Dragon Quest 8! But somehow, I managed to go back to Legend of Mana and play again. Holy crap, it's fun. More like a side-scrolling beat-em-up with quests, rather than an RPG. I got that 2-handed sword ownage goin' on, but I'm thinking of switching over to a knife like my original character had. But not until I get Beautiful Three. That has to be my favorite Special Technique ever.

Bravery is better than a faint heart for a man seeking to put his nose out of doors. My fate and the number of my days has already been decided.

Hyperguy

• Retired Admin 2004-2012
  • Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
Re: Legend of Mana
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 01:01:13 pm »
Legend of Mana was one of those games that had so much content that'd it take months to go through it all.  Custom maps, weapons, lots of special techniques for every weapon in the game, hundreds and hundreds of quests...Even with FAQs experiencing it all is a daunting task.

And then there's the versus mode.  I honestly wish every RPG had a versus mode, and new game + feature.  Last I checked, Mana had both.

R-9

• Orky
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS!
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 01:05:06 pm »
Legend of Mana? Ah, the one where there were three possible main stoylines
Oh, little ice cream friends, Thog delay his boredom-driven rampage only for you.

Regdren

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 03:34:51 pm »
I remember Legend of Mana as the game that got me to quit looking at commercial strategy guides. It only took a little experimenting to know that I wasn't going to learn the weapon refining system on my own, so I got the guide. The guide offered no help on this important aspect of the gaem. None. In fact, none of the guides I could find offered any useful information on it. Gamefaqs, on the other hand, had detailed forging guides. So since then I've looked for game information on the intarwebs.

As for the game itself...it had some fun aspects and the music rocked. However, despite the many options the game gave you, the battles were quite simple and easy for me. So after completing two of the three storylines I quit it and moved on. I don't regret buying it though.
Epic ninja maneuver: smoke bomb during windy day technique!

LordRyunson

• Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 12:19:39 am »
They ought to re-release Legend of Mana for an upcoming game console. I sort of missed the PS1 version, even though I played a demo.

There was me, VS. a yeti monster. It was loads of fun.

Meat

• Unlockable
  • Engaged VIPER Fan
  • |ಠ_ಠ|
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 09:40:03 pm »
As a fan of the two SNES Mana games, I knew I'd like this one as soon as I heard about it.  After I had it for a few months, it wouldn't play anymore so it's been ages since I've picked it up.  The battles were fun, but having a lot more enemies on screen would've been awesome.  I also loved the Golem-designing part of the game. 

KILLING KICK!!!

Centurion

• Spear Knight 92/50
  • Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 09:42:54 am »
As a fan of the two SNES Mana games, I knew I'd like this one as soon as I heard about it.  After I had it for a few months, it wouldn't play anymore so it's been ages since I've picked it up.  The battles were fun, but having a lot more enemies on screen would've been awesome.  I also loved the Golem-designing part of the game. 
Hell yeah. Golems FTW. Btw, nice tits.

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 07:36:45 pm »
I recently mastered every single 2-Handed Sword technique, and most of the Spear techniques. I think I'll master them all again, like I did on my last save file.

Bravery is better than a faint heart for a man seeking to put his nose out of doors. My fate and the number of my days has already been decided.

MMX

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • Bang the doll slowly.
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 08:11:44 pm »
You know what's better than LoM?

Oh wait I already said this didn't I.  I like Poto Oils.

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 09:22:37 pm »
Legend of Mana's really not a bad game. Why do you hate it so much? Because it's not the same as the "classic" ones or some shit?

MMX

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • Bang the doll slowly.
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 10:16:51 pm »
Nah I don't hate it.  I just love the first three.  I mean don't get me wrong #4 is still pretty good but GAWD numbers one through three were just so... so... incredible.  I mean so many things about the first three (or at the very least 2 and 3, I wasn't THAT big into one either, I just kind of end up grouping them together) you just remember.  Like the little things and everything...

I DUNNO I don't dislike #4 I'm just saying god I love #2 and #3 =)

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 10:20:41 pm »
Okay. =)

R-9

• Orky
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS!
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 06:03:17 pm »
So, how hard is it to find nowadays, anyway?
Oh, little ice cream friends, Thog delay his boredom-driven rampage only for you.

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 09:33:58 pm »
It what? Legend of Mana? I have no fuckin' clue. I just dug out my old copy. You can probably find it emulated.

Mediocrity

• Idea Factory Fan - PLEASE IGNORE
  • Engaged VIPER Fan
  • the neverending sunlight is so blinding it's cruel
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2006, 01:56:31 am »
I adore this game. The art style is so neat (MERMAIDS! and Pearl's alternate form, Queen White Pearl or something) and the pirate penguins (with a walrus captain, no doubt) made me :D endlessly. The writing was great, too. It's just one of those games I'm glad I own and I don't want to sell ever.
"My son is sixteen, my wife is dead, and you're an asshole." - Jessie to Citan, Xenogears: A Rope of Robots, Part 19

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2006, 06:13:55 pm »
The only thing with the official art that ever bothered me was how everybody's eyes are like that one creepy girl from Dexter's Lab.

Snow Puma

• Engaged VIPER Fan
  • I *WHAT* like a lesbian?!
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 02:32:31 am »
Legend of Mana is just a beautiful game. I had a serious joygasm at all the water-colored backdrops and the story, when you get to see it, is quite entertaining. The one thing that got me was that the game design was lacking, combat was simplistic and even on NIGHTMARE mode the game was laughably easy. Alot of the "hide and seek" missions were lame, but the nostalgia and lush visuals kept me engaged for a long time. Unfortunately for me I wasn't able to beat the game until I got a PS2. The reason being that my copy of the game would freeze-up in certain parts of the final areas (areas I later discovered that were cinematic heavy).

One thing I've got to say though, I've NEVER seen a more complicated customization system than the weapon forging in LoM. As I later found out on gamefaqs, the forging system was chock full of intricate effects and advanaced mathematics, none of which are explained (I'm amazed by the guys who DID figure out how it worked). To think of the uber-powerful, challenge breaking weapons that could be made in a game where any common starting weapon is more than capable of finishing the end boss.

This also related back into the golem system, where with the proper combination of brokenly powerful weapons, you could literally make an invinsible death machine. My personal favorite part of golem making though, was the logic grid. It brought back memories of SoM (or SoM2 for those counting by moon-land releases) and SoE (another great and detailed game in my opinion, with infinitely better dialog)'s ally behavior systems, only taken to the extreme next level. A properly planned and filled out logic grid made any golem into a dangeous beast, while any empty or improperly filled out one would result in a glitchy toy that just followed you around.

I miss my copy of LoM, it was a great game and I think I traded it for a few bucks back when I was desperate for cash and didn't have my priorities in order.

KEdakumi

• Engaged VIPER Fan
  • Your Logic is dizzying...
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006, 11:18:28 am »
My son found someone on EBay sellinng this game for 99 cents.  He said he wanted it, but I'd never heard of it before.... good info to know.
"Must resist stupidity impulse....." *Cosmo*

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2006, 11:15:23 pm »
Buy it quickly! It'll be well worth it.