Author Topic: Final Fantasy XII  (Read 6366 times)

Spaceworlder

• Engaged VIPER Fan
  • The Wizard
    • Space World
Final Fantasy XII
« on: November 01, 2006, 10:37:28 pm »
This game owns every other Final Fantasy ever released.

That is all.
Smile, you son of a bitch!

Regdren

• Engaged VIPER Fan
Re: Final Fantasy XII
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 07:50:42 am »
Indeed. This game posesses a cunning in design beyond other, lesser rpgs. It is so smart, in fact, that it plays itself.
Epic ninja maneuver: smoke bomb during windy day technique!

Spaceworlder

• Engaged VIPER Fan
  • The Wizard
    • Space World
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 09:29:58 am »
Isn't artificial intelligence great?

Regdren

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 10:03:49 am »
While I did joke about it, the idea of programming your characters and letting them loose on the field has a lot of appeal. If there is artificial intelligence in what the characters do, it is because you put it there. That sounds pretty cool. And I liked the setting of Ivalice during its first appearance in FFT, though their translator needed to study a bit more.

There actually isn't that much I can add, since I haven't actually played it. My gaming budget is such that I need to make my decisions very carefuly. The latest Final Fantasy game may well be innovative, but it's going to be in stores for a good, long time. Now Altus games, those are another matter. They require the precision of a bird of prey; if you are not prepared to move swiftly and take one at its first appearance in daylight, it will be gone forever into the depths of "box and manual included, only $100 plus shipping" Ebay ads.
Epic ninja maneuver: smoke bomb during windy day technique!

Spaceworlder

• Engaged VIPER Fan
  • The Wizard
    • Space World
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 10:37:48 am »
The whole Gambit system is awesome. I still control my party's leader manually, but everyone else operates on AI. I'm actually kind of surprised at how simple and effective it is. The only thing that sucks is you need to 'unlock' new AI commands. Still, from the gist of it I experienced, this is the most flexible and intuitive AI programming I've ever seen in an RPG. I wish KOTOR had something like it.

Also, while we're on the topic of translations, FFXII's is friggin' amazing. You can hardly tell the game was originally in Japanese, because the dialogue and the delivery of it by the excellent voice cast just feels so damn natural. I also like the nods they give to Ted Woolsey with the use of terms like Espers and Magicite. With this and DQVIII, Square USA is really starting to give Working Designs a run for their money.

I agree that it'd probably be better to focus your money on more obscure RPGs, though. FFXII is great, but one year from now it'll still be on store shelves and retailing for $20, while other more obscure games become eBay fodder.

R-9

• Orky
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 10:46:02 am »
Well, looks like it's time for me to go and count the number of messages out there that blast it for not being like the "good ol' days". Guess what? These are the good ol' days.

Anyway, a third on the Atlus stuff. Disgaea was scalped about as much as the PS2.
Oh, little ice cream friends, Thog delay his boredom-driven rampage only for you.

Spaceworlder

• Engaged VIPER Fan
  • The Wizard
    • Space World
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 11:03:02 am »
Some people are afraid of change. Change is good, especially the kind that lets you buy soda from vending machines. I love change.

MMX

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • Bang the doll slowly.
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 08:30:48 pm »
Also, while we're on the topic of translations, FFXII's is friggin' amazing. You can hardly tell the game was originally in Japanese, because the dialogue and the delivery of it by the excellent voice cast just feels so damn natural. I also like the nods they give to Ted Woolsey with the use of terms like Espers and Magicite. With this and DQVIII, Square USA is really starting to give Working Designs a run for their money.

wait.... wtf?

Ellendesu

• Chatroom Psychiatrist
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • Sexier than Buddha. Harder than Jesus.
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 09:12:38 pm »
lol saluting Ted Woolsey for anything except "Fucking up translations like an idiotic douchebag" is about as stupid as it gets.

Phantom Beasts > Espers

Spaceworlder

• Engaged VIPER Fan
  • The Wizard
    • Space World
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 11:55:46 pm »
Soda > Espers > Cats >  :hs > steaming pile of shit > Phantom Beats > nothing

Hyperguy

• Retired Admin 2004-2012
  • Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 02:00:02 pm »
It has Fran in it.  Slap a Squaresoft sticker on it and we may very well have game of the year. :O

Spaceworlder

• Engaged VIPER Fan
  • The Wizard
    • Space World
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 03:04:24 pm »
Fran is kind of hot, considering that she's a yiffing furry and all.

Penelo and her ugly pig snout kind of endanger FFXII's GOTY chances, though.