Author Topic: Guitar Hero games  (Read 9884 times)

tetsaru arigashi

• The Dudeface Master of What-Not
  • Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
  • Gotta love them animu kerjiggletits physics. 8D
Guitar Hero games
« on: November 30, 2006, 02:24:15 am »
Just wondering if anyone likes to play this cool series, so if you've got anything you wanna talk about concerning the games, here's where you can put it!  Just a few hours ago, I managed to beat Guitar Hero II on hard difficulty, and I'm trying to work my way through expert now.  I'm sure I'll need to get better at most of the songs in general (especially in terms of doing the hammer-on and pull-off notes) in order to get 5 stars on everything in hard and expert.  =/

Oh yeah, I managed to find this awesome video on Youtube.  The guy's kinda egotistical, but he's really good...

[youtube=425,350]Ua3hZXfNZOE[/youtube]

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • The very model of a forum moderator
Re: Guitar Hero games
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 12:23:47 pm »
My girlfriend is addicted to this game. She's fairly good at it, but hasn't gotten to play it much because of recent homework and stuff. I'm absolutely terrible at it myself. I can barely do the medium difficulty songs.

Bravery is better than a faint heart for a man seeking to put his nose out of doors. My fate and the number of my days has already been decided.

tetsaru arigashi

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 08:41:58 pm »
Yeah, a couple of my roommate's friends dropped by and tried to play it on Easy, and they still had a lot of trouble.  They ALMOST made it all the way through Freebird, though, and that song's about 10 minutes long.

I also caught word from my local Gamestop's newsletter that they're going to be having a Guitar Hero tournament in February, if I remember correctly.  I'd probably get my ass whooped at this point, but I'd love to enter it if possible.

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 08:44:05 pm »
LOL Freebird! XD

Dude, when we used to go to Trivia Night, they'd play songs after asking the questions. You had until the song ended to come up with an answer. So when our group was having trouble, we'd all yell "Play Freebird!" XD I have good memories of that song.

I've only played Guitar Hero 1, and on Easy I can do most any song. On Medium though, I'm only capable of performing the first 10 or so tracks. I need to play it more.

Bravery is better than a faint heart for a man seeking to put his nose out of doors. My fate and the number of my days has already been decided.

Ellendesu

• Chatroom Psychiatrist
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • Sexier than Buddha. Harder than Jesus.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 12:42:51 am »
I play real guitar. lol

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 01:07:31 am »
Those of us who don't have one/can't afford one make do with this.

tetsaru arigashi

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 01:39:10 am »
I play real guitar. lol

I actually know a friend who was willing to help teach me to play guitar, but I haven't seen him around lately...  Oh well, my dad's a retired band director, he could probably teach me better anyway.  For now, I'll just stick to "the lazy gamer's DDR," as my roommate called the Guitar Hero series, lol...

Btw, I managed to get a perfect run on "Less Talk More Rokk" on Medium in Quickplay mode.  >=P  I can usually play the hell out of any song on Easy or Medium (maybe missing a few notes here and there, especially if I have to pause the game for some reason), but on Hard and Expert, I rarely get higher than a 3-star rating in Career mode...  I admit, there's a big difference between Medium and Hard on that game.  Not only does the screen scroll a lot faster, there are a lot of weird chords you have to get to quickly, a lot of fast strumming, and those damn hammer-on notes get me every time...  I guess I just need to get to where my fingers will move faster.  >_<;

Ever tried to play "Misirlou" on Expert??  This guy does it without using his star power...  O_O;

« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 07:39:36 am by JG »

Ellendesu

• Chatroom Psychiatrist
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • Sexier than Buddha. Harder than Jesus.
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 10:02:27 am »
I learned Misirlou a few years ago. Good stuff. I should record myself playing it ^_^

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 10:03:37 am »
Star power is all that saves me in this game, but I don't know how to activate it. ^_^; I always have my girlfriend do it for me when I'm playing.

tetsaru arigashi

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 05:50:33 pm »
Star power is all that saves me in this game, but I don't know how to activate it. ^_^; I always have my girlfriend do it for me when I'm playing.

Dude, star power is a vital and score-boosting technique!  I'm surprised Mario hasn't sued over it yet!  XD

Anyway, if you've looked at the in-game tutorials, you'll see that there are two ways to activate star power:  either press the select button, or tilt the guitar controller upwards, to where the neck is pointing towards the ceiling.  Personally, I prefer the tilting method, since it keeps my hands on the buttons during busy sections of a song.  Just be careful that you don't miss any notes after you activate it, or that x8 multiplier you've been trying to utilize for a high score will be long gone - I've had that happen to me several times.  >_<;

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 06:28:33 pm »
I feel silly tilting it, so I go for the select button. I can't FIND it though, so I have her do it for me.

Centurion

• Spear Knight 92/50
  • Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 07:01:57 pm »
I like this game about as much as I like cleaning my ears with a power drill. If I go into Bestbuy/EB Games/wherever and have to hear another fat sweaty 24 year old living with his parents playing "Smoke on the Water" one more goddamn time I'm gonna eat the 70 dollar plasticass guitar and shit out the buttons and the flipper and die because I cant digest the rest.

tetsaru arigashi

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 02:37:41 am »
I feel silly tilting it, so I go for the select button. I can't FIND it though, so I have her do it for me.

Yet another reason why I prefer tilting the guitar instead - it's hard to feel for the select button if you're constantly having to strum, and it also feels exactly like the start button as well, so it's easy to get the two confused, imo.  My roommate prefers using the select button, but mainly because the sensor in one of his controllers is kinda funky at times.  If you really feel that conscious about tilting the controller, I'd stay away from a Wii then.  =/

I like this game about as much as I like cleaning my ears with a power drill. If I go into Bestbuy/EB Games/wherever and have to hear another fat sweaty 24 year old living with his parents playing "Smoke on the Water" one more goddamn time I'm gonna eat the 70 dollar plasticass guitar and shit out the buttons and the flipper and die because I cant digest the rest.

Wow.  I agree there are some shitty songs on both games ("Tattoed Love Boys" comes to mind...  WTF kind of title is that, anyway?!?), but I wouldn't consider "Smoke on the Water" one of them.  I'd like to see them release a version similar to that Dance Factory game where you could upload your own songs (I've never actually played this game...  Wikipedia's article on it said that it doesn't always sync the beats very well, but it sounds really innovative).  Sorry that you hate the game so much, Centurion.  =(

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 10:14:32 am »
I'll have no issue with Wii. I'd probably not mind the tilting guitar, but we only ever play it 1-player and nobody bothers tilting it.

CharliesX

• Engaged VIPER Fan
  • How in the hell they are twins thats why!
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2006, 01:00:35 am »
Been playing since GH1 came out, but I have a hard time with anything requireing the blue button (to say NOTHING about the orange button). I don't even know HOW I survived "Bark at the moon" from GH1.

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2006, 01:26:01 am »
I can work the orange button, but the blue button is out of the question. I'm just not used to sliding my hand down to get it.

tetsaru arigashi

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2006, 02:09:16 am »
Been playing since GH1 came out, but I have a hard time with anything requireing the blue button (to say NOTHING about the orange button). I don't even know HOW I survived "Bark at the moon" from GH1.

I can work the orange button, but the blue button is out of the question. I'm just not used to sliding my hand down to get it.

My advice is, on Easy and Medium, to put your index finder on the green button (the one at the end of the neck of the guitar) and put your middle, ring, and pinky fingers on the red, yellow, and blue buttons respectively.  Other than having to play red and blue at the same time (since my ring finger wants to get in the way), you shouldn't have to move your hand from this position, as each finger is "assigned" a button.

Now, when you finally step up to Hard and Expert, you'll have to throw all this out the window.  Since you now have the orange button to deal with, you can either keep the above positions for your fingers and then stretch your pinky finger over from blue to orange as needed, or move all your fingers up one button, to where you don't have a finger on green.  This takes a lot of getting used to, and both methods have their perks depending on what kind of passages are in the songs you're playing.  You'll also have to make your own "grips" for some of the new chords that pop up - I suggest using your index and pinky fingers for whenever green and blue or red and orange pop up, and whenever you have green and yellow, red and blue, or yellow and orange, use your index and ring finger and slide up and down the guitar neck as needed.

Finally, if you're ever having trouble on a song or difficulty level, go to training and practice mode, find a song to practice on, and set the tempo to "Slowest."  Then, try to hit as many notes as you can while putting your fingers in a position that's comfortable for you.  When you get to the point where you can play the entire song cleanly (I'd say around 80% notes hit or better), go to "Slower," then "Slow," and finally "Full Tempo."  Keep in mind that, in faster tempos, you'll have to be able to move your fingers on the appropriate fret buttons as quickly as possible.  Also, don't forget that you can also strum up and down for fast rhythms, but don't go apeshit on it - it is possible to strum TOO fast, and then you'll get even more misses counted against you.  Examining passages such as these in practice mode also helps significantly in determining the exact timings.

Personally, I'm still having trouble mastering the hammer-on notes.  I've found that "Less Talk More Rokk" on Expert is actually a good song to practice these on, as the majority of the song contains them in a lot of patterns.  I'll get them one day...  >_<;

scarab

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2006, 08:11:25 am »
GH is no substitute for a real guitar...

but it's a lot more fun if you don't have any REAL talent *lol*

i just wish that they had a better song selection.  i'm getting tired of playing these mullet rock songs.
Bang, bang...I shot you down...

CharliesX

• Engaged VIPER Fan
  • How in the hell they are twins thats why!
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2006, 07:48:47 pm »
I use my pinky for the blue button. Heaven forbid I have to press red+blue together.

Of course my pinky dosen't work properly anyway after punching the metal wall at work. :P