Author Topic: lol 4chan  (Read 9919 times)

Hyperguy

• Retired Admin 2004-2012
  • Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
lol 4chan
« on: July 01, 2005, 06:59:54 pm »
I [strike]accidently[/strike] posted a link to our site on 4chan last month, and we got 600 visitors in one day.  That would explain why we ran out of bandwidth so quickly towards the end of the month.

However, something much more serious is going on.

Now that it's the 1st of the month our bandwidth has been reset, which is cool and all, but in 4chan's case, it's not so cool.

Apparently effective July 1st they're axeing a lot of their boards because they don't have enough for bandwidth costs.

I don't know about you guys, but I spend a lot of time on 4chan, or for the majority of the boards I frequent to suddenly disappear really sucks.

I mean sure, there are other chans like the ones listed at Overchan, but as far as I'm concerned, 4chan is the one and only chan I actually care about.

sausamite

• Casual VIPER Fan
lol 4chan
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 07:04:54 pm »
I'm in the same boat.  I hope something can be done to save it (again, and again), but i don't have much hope.

Hyperguy

• Retired Admin 2004-2012
  • Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
lol 4chan
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 07:09:43 pm »
Well, considering that the money they get is from donators, there's never a gaurantee they'll always have enough to pay for fees every month.

But you know, maybe this is a good thing.

Last time this happened, which was a little over a year ago, so many people panicked at the thought of losing 4chan that they managed to collect three times the amount cash they needed to stay afloat.  Maybe things look bad now, but I got a feeling that if 4chan dies again it'll showhow come back.  

Last time they came back they did it without Moot, and managed to lure him back to the task of running things again.  That's just an outsider's perspective.  If any of you 4chan experts out there want to add something, feel free.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・DQ4; Kingdom Hearts Integrum Masterpiece
    • Sogna Digital Museum
lol 4chan
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 07:30:00 pm »
I only go there for the animated gif and torrent boards. The anim gif has a rare gem or two, and torrent isnt exactly a rare bird these days, with so many sites posting torrent links nowadays.
Frankly, they'd be better off with a site redesign and encouraging people to stop posting CRAP to reduce their bandwidth, not beg for more money.

Doctor_Raven

• Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
  • Lone Guardian of Cybertron
lol 4chan
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 11:39:33 pm »
So that's why it happened. And here I thought a new gallery of animated gifs was uploaded.
ಠ_ಠ
I saw what you did there.