Author Topic: Torrent Programs  (Read 10292 times)

daitanuki

• A kinder, gentler Custom title.
  • Engaged VIPER Fan
  • What sin could a man commit in a single lifetime?
Torrent Programs
« on: November 29, 2005, 06:26:56 pm »
I'm not sure if this is the best place to make such a request, so please let me know if I should hose off.

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm new to torrents (and not a terribly computer literate person in general.)  I've got BitComet, BitTornado, and Azureus, but I haven't a clue as to which is the better program.  I usually use BitTornado just because it was quick for me to set up and has worked successfully a few times for me.

Would anyone be willing to explain to me how torrents work so that I may better understand where my hentai comes from?  I'd like to know stuff like what seeding is, and which programs people think are best for downloading torrents.  If anyone has some recommendations for where to find good torrent files beyond Hongfire, I'd appreciate that too.
Apan, Papan, Apepapedingdingdång

Take it!

Doctor_Raven

• Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
  • Lone Guardian of Cybertron
Re: Torrent Programs
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 06:32:14 pm »
Bit Comet is pretty good. I used beforfe my laptop had died. As opposed to Bit Torrent where the program can hijacked by others for downloading evil devices, like ones that unistall Windows Media Player, Bit Comet is a program so you can sort and keep track of your torrents better.
ಠ_ಠ
I saw what you did there.

UnitG3D

• Casual VIPER Fan
  • GETTAAAAA BEEEEEEEMU!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 07:35:15 pm »
My personal preference is Azerus.  Its got a nice rich layout that has all the info you absolutely must have on the front page (am I connected to peers, seeds, DL, UL, etc) and has detailed infromation in a nice gizmo-ish format for each torrent you're running (watch the pieces of each torrent come from the peer your getting it from, see which parts you have and not just the percent).

So yeah, diagnostic and critical info all in one great package.
All girls with glasses bow to my special librarian seduction charms.

Ellendesu

• Chatroom Psychiatrist
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • Sexier than Buddha. Harder than Jesus.
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 11:41:41 pm »
uTorrent

It's small, no spyware or Adware, it automatically downloads things if they are cut off and then they are regained.

and it's like small and has no spy or adware. uTorrent. for a better internet

Hyperguy

• Retired Admin 2004-2012
  • Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 10:32:56 am »
Azureus is superior.

I know this because a feature unique to Azureus is trackerless torrents, torrents that people are able to use to download from other Azureus users without the need of a tracker.  If standardized, it could change the way torrents are distributed forever, i.e., less tracker sites that get shut down and more downloading for all.

Besides that it has features that let you control the amount of bandwidth you use for uploading and downloading, and lets you download specific files in a torrent.

Like, for example, say Master Bloodfer released a doujinshi torrent that had 12 doujinshi you already had and one you didn't that you wanted.  Using Azureus you can make it so you only download the doujinshi you want and not download the other 12 doujinshi.

How Torrents Work

Torrents rely on seeders and leechers to work.

A Seeder is someone who has 100% of a file, and is uploading the file.
A Leecher is someone who has less than 100% of a file, and is downloading the file.*

In order for a Leecher to complete their download, their must be at least one Seeder.  When a Leecher finally completes their file, they too can Seed.

The torrent file itself is a set of instructions your torrent program uses to peice together the file after it's been fully downloaded.  It also tells your torrent program where to go to download it.  In most cases, it tells it to go to a tracker.  A tracker is like a go-between between clients that tracks the status of the torrent, that is, how many leechers and seeders are connected.  When you download using torrents, you're in fact downloading from other people's computers, which means that their computer must be on and actively seeding in order for you to be able to download at all, and, the file they seed must be the same as the one used to create the torrent.

daitanuki

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 12:01:53 pm »
Ah, so it works kind of like Limewire or eMule, but just for one file at a time.  That's kind of what I figured.  So I'd imagine that in order to seed, you'd just need to run a torrent that you already have finished and your program will keep it open for others to download.  Got it.

Well, since I've had trouble with finding trackers, it sounds like Azureus is the program I'll use from now on.

Thanks, Hyperguy!  Now I know!  ......

Take it!

Cole Tyger

• The Dark Lord of Overkill
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Master of the K-girl Fanfic
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 12:11:33 pm »

Thanks, Hyperguy!  Now I know!  ......

and knowing is half the battle

*ducks several thrown objects*

here, to make up for using that line,

http://fapomatic.com/show.php?loc=48&f=tctscarlett.jpg

EDIT:

okay, i've created a couple of torrents, what do i copy so that the rest of the world can find the links?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 09:39:10 pm by Cole Tyger »

daitanuki

• Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 11:39:41 am »
I'll set 'em up, Cole.  You knock 'em down.

And fanks fer teh fap fodder.

Take it!