Author Topic: Parkour  (Read 20800 times)

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • The very model of a forum moderator
Parkour
« on: July 23, 2006, 08:16:20 pm »
So...I'm pretty sure the only traceurs among us are Jusu, Sorrowful, and myself, but maybe we could get some interest going or gather some good information, pics, or videos. Or just talk about our most recent runs and practices.

Today my brother, his friend, and myself went out to do a run at their old campus. It started out pretty good. Plenty of vaults, a few opportunities for cat leaps and tic-tacs. There were 2 sections in particular that were fun for Parkour. There was a section with 4 ledges in a row, and we vaulted up all of them even though there was only 5 feet of space between each ledge. We call it the "Four Vaults of the Apocalypse". Then, there's a place with some abandoned concrete blocks that makes for fine precision work (we called it "Precision Mecca"). Unfortunately, between the Four Vaults of the Apocalypse and Precision Mecca I bailed hardcore and screwed up my ankle.

We were on a ledge with about 10 feet of running distance, and we decided we'd take it in turns to run and jump off the ledge, land, and roll to see who could get the most distance. I bailed on the landing. It had rained the night before, so it was wet, and when I landed most of my weight was on my right leg. My left leg hit with the ball of my foot first, rolling easily onto my heel with no trouble. My right foot hit heel first and jammed up my whole leg pretty good. I managed my roll, but my glasses fell off. I wound up walking it off for the rest of the time (still managed a few more precisions and vaults) and I missed the chance to cat-leap up the biggest wall on campus.

So guys, tell some stories, post some vids or pics. Let's see what kind of response we get.

Bravery is better than a faint heart for a man seeking to put his nose out of doors. My fate and the number of my days has already been decided.

Snorlax.RAYZR

• Addicted to Guru
  • Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
  • TEIYAH !!!!!
Re: Parkour
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 12:15:27 am »
- I jumped off the second story from my friend's balcony. I didn't jump properly, I sort of slipped off the rail. I managed to roll, but it was too horizontal, so I hurt my side pretty bad. This was uhm, about 4 or 5 years ago.

- Last year when we had snow, it froze up pretty good after a freezing rain session. Some friends and I decided to try to tic-tac onto this higher platform of ice, and when I did, I slipped and fell, but I was on it. Not for long, however, cause it broke and I fell into some water'n'ice. Haha.

- I king konged face first into the asphalt. I stopped trying anything close to that after. Haha.

- I was supposed to film a chase scene with a ninja and parkour in it for a school movie, but instead I ended up playing sandman. We were about 6 asians, a couple filipinos and a russian dude, all completely shirtless, playing sandman in this kiddie park, haha. The parents got pretty ticked we were hogging the slides and bars and whatnot, they called the cops. The cops came and one of the idiots hanging with us provoked them so they tried to stop him, but he parkoured it out of there. The cops then turned to us, and we did the same. Haha.

Doctor_Raven

• Lone Guardian of Cybertron
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 12:44:02 am »
sorry I am no Parkour, though for a film in my undergrad life, we had a feller who was very limber and was hiding in the trees as a ninja for my 8mm film.

ಠ_ಠ
I saw what you did there.

Ellendesu

• Chatroom Psychiatrist
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • Sexier than Buddha. Harder than Jesus.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 10:23:05 am »
You guys have interesting stories.

I do too, but I don't think I can tell half of them

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 10:17:09 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B48tLkTqXzA&search=banlieue%2013

David Belle, co-founder of Parkour, in the movie Banlieue 13.

Bravery is better than a faint heart for a man seeking to put his nose out of doors. My fate and the number of my days has already been decided.

Snorlax.RAYZR

• Addicted to Guru
  • TEIYAH !!!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 02:38:11 am »
I have Banlieue 13, hehe ;)

Great movie. Much better than Yamakasi//Yamakasi 2, eurgh...

Jusu

• Engaged VIPER Fan
  • Shiggity Shiggity Shwa!
    • Jusu's Art Gallery
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 04:28:11 am »
There should be some video footage of me soon enough. My friend was filming me two weeks ago, even though we didn't get much as it started to rain. But I'll let ya know when I have something.

There's nothing too interesting to tell about my parkour experiences, but in one spot I almost lost my knee. My concentration disappeared when I attempted to do a Dash Vault. My knee hit the wall in full speed, the skin was cut open and the wound was bleeding for 20 minutes.

One small incident was that when I climbed onto this wall with my brother to practice catwalk (the wall was about 10 feet high) a police van drove by and shouting from the window they told us to "jump the fuck down". So we just shrugged and jumped down, performing a Roll when landing of course XD
Let's get to work, Battle Shark!

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 11:55:41 am »
Sweet! I wonder if my group would know anyone with a camera to take video with.

Snorlax.RAYZR

• Addicted to Guru
  • TEIYAH !!!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 12:24:39 pm »
I don't have a group. Haha.

I'm moving just a tad away from Parkour to get into tricking. Then I'll implement. Hehe...

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 01:34:22 pm »
I'm not gonna bother with tricks. I like the concept of moving as quickly and directly from one point to another as possible.

Jusu

• Engaged VIPER Fan
    • Jusu's Art Gallery
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 03:53:25 pm »
Been thinking if I should practice Capoeira as well, could develop some Parkour variations from it.

Snorlax.RAYZR

• Addicted to Guru
  • TEIYAH !!!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 10:33:27 pm »
Go for it. You need strong arms for Parkour, and Capoeira gives you strong arms.

It also helps with coordination and balance. Precision? Capoeira. XD

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 10:47:48 pm »
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-5901806041431700202&q=jump+britain

The Parkour documentary "Jump Britain" I'm halfway though it and holy shit, does it ever rock.

Snorlax.RAYZR

• Addicted to Guru
  • TEIYAH !!!!!
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 01:35:00 am »
...OMG.

OMFG.

Is that the full Jump Britain? Holy crap I've been looking for that forever! o_O

Jusu

• Engaged VIPER Fan
    • Jusu's Art Gallery
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 03:42:56 am »
I saw Jump Britain at my brothers. Now that's pure Parkour right there yo.

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 04:01:13 pm »
That's all of it, Sorrowful.

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2006, 02:33:41 am »
 With no place in town (or within half an hour of it) worthy of Parkour, we found a few little places to practice just technique. At a children's playground we found a maze suitable to practicing cat-leaps. We did cat leaps to navigate the maze, jumping from one wall to the other. I also did my first big precision at this park, jumping onto a small rail 3 feet off the ground.

Jusu

• Engaged VIPER Fan
    • Jusu's Art Gallery
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2006, 04:48:20 am »
Last saturday was the greatest event for me. There was this great Parkour jamming going nearby my home in this park. There were like 80 finnish traceurs over there, most of them members of the Finnish Parkour Association. What's even more cool was, that we had four pros from France coming to teach us and give guidance in workshops. I was very honored to meet all of them personally, especially when I heard that they all are personal trainees of David Belle, The Man Himself, who wound Parkour back in the 80s.

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2006, 03:17:16 pm »
I'm becoming increasingly jeallous of Europeans. America has nothing for Parkour. =\ Oh well. In spite of this, on Thursday I'm going to my brother's apartment to have another jam at his campus (where I bailed and hurt my ankle). This time, things will be different!

Jusu

• Engaged VIPER Fan
    • Jusu's Art Gallery
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2006, 04:10:00 am »
What would be even cooler if David Belle himself visited Finland sometime. Just gotta keep the hopes high.