Author Topic: Legos  (Read 10701 times)

Hyperguy

• Retired Admin 2004-2012
  • Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
Legos
« on: August 02, 2006, 08:50:08 pm »
I played with all sorts of toys when I was a kid, but to this day, Legos still fucking rock.  Could it be because they have such lasting appeal that they are not a toy at all, but instead raw materials for which to model imagination?

Video games these days are a lot like action figures, though I don't see myself ever being able to play with action figures again.  What I mean is, in 3D games I sometimes feel that I'm not controlling a character at all, but moreso like a Polygonal Action figure.  If action figures in real life could do all of the things that video game characters could, and by remote control, then you'd probably see more people playing with action figures.  It'd be like that anime Angelic Layer.

The Metal Gear Solid 2 team used Legos to model environments for the game before making them in 3D. No joke.  Lego men can be cut up into little pieces, yet still always have a smile on their face.  Also, some people even make movies using them and sets made out of legos.  In fact, there's an actual lego set that lets you do this.

I like Legos.

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • The very model of a forum moderator
Re: Legos
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 08:51:15 pm »
Up until I was like, 14, I was guaranteed a metric fuckton of Legos for Christmas and my birthday. It was amazing. I had a million of every set.

Bravery is better than a faint heart for a man seeking to put his nose out of doors. My fate and the number of my days has already been decided.

tetsaru arigashi

• The Dudeface Master of What-Not
  • Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
  • Gotta love them animu kerjiggletits physics. 8D
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 08:59:10 pm »
aw man, i LOVED Legos back in the day, lol.  i still got two huge several-gallon-sized cases FULL of those things back in my grandma's shed.  makes me wanna go dump em all out in the floor again, and practically SWIM through them to find that one little piece i needed for whatever ambitious project that i was building...  =3

Centurion

• Spear Knight 92/50
  • Engaged VIPER Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 11:54:34 pm »
Lego Star Wars is amazing. Lego Luke could beat Lego Harry Potter any day!!!!

ROMate

• Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • The very model of a forum moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 12:09:51 am »
I want the huge fucking 300 dollar Lego Star Wars sets. The gigantic Star Destroyer and Death Star, for instance.

Bravery is better than a faint heart for a man seeking to put his nose out of doors. My fate and the number of my days has already been decided.

Hyperguy

• Retired Admin 2004-2012
  • Forum Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • o/
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 01:06:36 am »
I want the pirate ship set, though I'm sure the pirate ships sets they sold when I was a kid have changed drastically over the years.

tetsaru arigashi

• The Dudeface Master of What-Not
  • Ambassador of VIPER Knowledge
  • Gotta love them animu kerjiggletits physics. 8D
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 01:40:59 am »
i remember there was a "technic" car that had a bunch of features on it that i wanted so bad as a kid...  i think it had around 2,000 pieces or so.

R-9

• Orky
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS! ORKS!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 08:22:25 am »
i remember there was a "technic" car that had a bunch of features on it that i wanted so bad as a kid...  i think it had around 2,000 pieces or so.

Was it the big red one, or something else?
Oh, little ice cream friends, Thog delay his boredom-driven rampage only for you.

bfg00

• Fleet Admiral
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 05:44:22 pm »
Legos are awesome.  I had the Space Shuttle set, that thing was fun to play with.

Muhznit

• Some kind of RPG Platform Hentai Game
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Bakunyuu Otaku
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 05:53:34 pm »
Legos..... I used to love them so much.... then I found Pixel Art- similar to legos, but any color you want and for free. That got me into spriting.

JG

• Karin-chan Fan
  • Website Administrator
  • Hardcore VIPER Otaku
  • 3000 posts of rediculousness and counting
    • Favorite Sogna Game:
      ・Gokuraku VIPER Paradice
    • Now Playing:
      ・Echoes of Wisdom
    • Sogna Digital Museum
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 11:30:41 pm »
I had/have both the technic car and the space shuttle.  The car was in the neighborhod of 200-300 peices I think and yes, the steering wheel controlled the front tires, its engine pistons did move and the gearbox was indeed a functional transmission.

DualSoul

• Not the real Haypeguy...
  • Serious VIPER Fanatic
  • Hello, I'm plain...
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 01:27:05 am »
I love Legos and still do, though I dislike how the new kits seem to lean towards custom pieces to achieve the desired look/feel when they mimic something ala Star Wars or Harry Potter.